Yesterday I met with my project sponsor / agent. We had a really great conversation and I debriefed her on all of the interviews I've had. I showed her some of the transcripts of the interviews, which I've just begun to type up, which is a pretty arduous task in and of itself. All of the interviews I've done so far are all over an hour long - one is over two hours long - and typing them up just from listening to the recording takes a really long time because I have to stop the recording every 15 seconds to type what I've heard. Then after I do that I have to listen to the entire recording again to see if it matches up with what I've typed.
After I'm done with the transcripts (which will obviously be once I'm done with the interviews next week) I also have to figure out how to arrange them into an oral history, which I think I'll probably end up posting online in some format if for no other reason than for posterity. Since my sponsor is really cool and connected to the literary world, she actually contacted a professor at Dartmouth who is known as one of the pioneers of the oral history format and asked him if he had any advice he could give me. He ended up just sending her some articles that he's written, but they were really helpful to read.
So that's what I've been up to. I have three interviews next week - one with Gloria Feldt, one with Courtney Martin and one (a change in plans) with Sonia Ossorio, the president/director of NOW (National Organization for Women) NYC. I was supposed to interview Shelby Knox but it didn't work out, but luckily I was able to contact Sonia, so all is well.
No comments:
Post a Comment