Blogging Requirements

Basic requirements will be the following:

* Three posts per week minimum about your own project.

* Posts must be done by Sunday each week.

* One contribution/comment about one of your classmate's posts that offers additional insight to their experiences.

* Your post about your own project is to be a minimum of 200 words.

* Your comment about another experience should be positive and encouraging.

* Photos and/or videos are not required, but definitely encouraged. It's nice to have a visual to help the image in our head as we read about your project.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Moriah's Educational Ponderings

Project is giving me some interesting insight into what I want to study, and what I want to do with my life.  It hasn't really given me any answers, but it is opening up lots of questions and things to think about during my next four years in college and further down the line.  Take Political Science, for example.  This is what lots of people study when they want to go into politics or government at some point or another.  Something I've discussed with my sponsor, though, is that although political science teaches about the politics itself, elections and public opinion and all that, it doesn't necessarily teach you how to govern.  It makes me wonder whether I could graduate from college with a political science degree and know exactly the best ways to get elected to office, but then not really be savvy on actual policy, economics, foreign relations, and know how to truly put together the best possible policies to run our country.  Right now there are lots of career politicians in office on all levels of government who really have no true experience in the fields about which they write their policy.  For example, politicians love to talk big talk about the economy and what they think works best, but many of the legislators coming up with the bills that influence our economy haven't actually studied enough economics to understand how everything comes into play, and so shouldn't really be the ones making those economic decisions.  So, although I'd still like to study something along the lines of political science, I want to make sure that, in the event that I do work in a political office someday, I actually understand what's actually needed to govern well once I get there.  I'm definitely spending lots of time thinking about what kinds of important fields I can incorporate into my studies so that I'm equipped to make educated policy choices if I'm in the position to do so.

4 comments:

  1. I mean, I obviously don't know much about any of this, but law school is probably worth considering. I know a lot of politicians (and most high level politicians) are law school graduates.

    YAY MORE SCHOOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right, I'm already thinking about law school, but I'm talking other things policymakers should know besides how to write or understand laws!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a tough one. Politicians are expected to make policies on such a wide range of issues theres no way anyone can be completely qualified to make decisions in every situation. Like if a politicians goes to school for economics, how can they make healthcare or social issues decisions? It just seems like there has to be a lot of on the job learning or networking with people who do know the issues so one can make an informed decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm, you make a good point. In that case, I would at least like to try to take some classes on the basics of the biggies. Maybe it'll make it easier to build on that knowledge later on when I need to learn on my feet!

    ReplyDelete