Blogging Requirements

Basic requirements will be the following:

* Three posts per week minimum about your own project.

* Posts must be done by Sunday each week.

* One contribution/comment about one of your classmate's posts that offers additional insight to their experiences.

* Your post about your own project is to be a minimum of 200 words.

* Your comment about another experience should be positive and encouraging.

* Photos and/or videos are not required, but definitely encouraged. It's nice to have a visual to help the image in our head as we read about your project.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

2100 Lakeside: First Experience

HEY GUYS!!!
So im working at 2100 lakeside mens shelter for my senior project, and even through a week, it has truly been a life-changing experience. I really had no idea what to expect going into this project, but what I have been exposed to a side of life I may have never seen. I began my experience by meeting with my sponsor Lydia and getting a short tour of the complex. After a quick orientation, I was immediately placed in the small computer lab that they had created from donations. Although it consisted of 5 older computers, the purpose was to create an environment where men could work on resumes and engage in job searching. So after a couple minutes of men filing in and out, one individual approached me and asked for some help on his resume. We talked for a little bit and I helped him format his resume for an interview he had coming up at a laundromat. It was the first real encounter i had with someone from the shelter, and I dont think i will ever forget it. I was so surprised at how open he was to me and how much he was able to tell me, just by meeting me one time. But the real eye-opening part of this encounter was how much he appreciated the help. In modern society, we lose sight of small gestures, but he whole-heartedly was appreciative of me being there, and that was a reaction that will stick with me forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment