Blogging Requirements

Basic requirements will be the following:

* Three posts per week minimum about your own project.

* Posts must be done by Sunday each week.

* One contribution/comment about one of your classmate's posts that offers additional insight to their experiences.

* Your post about your own project is to be a minimum of 200 words.

* Your comment about another experience should be positive and encouraging.

* Photos and/or videos are not required, but definitely encouraged. It's nice to have a visual to help the image in our head as we read about your project.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Meggan Watterson Interview

Today I interviewed Meggan Watterson. I met Meggan at a conference I spoke at here in NYC back in March, the focus of which was body image. I spoke from the perspective of our generation (i.e. to a room full of thirty-to-sixty-year-olds "what the kids are thinking/doing") and she spoke from a religious / spiritual perspective. I really loved the speech she gave, because it seemed to me that she was arguing a lot of the same things I had been but from a completely different mindset, and thought it would be fascinating to learn more about.

I wasn't sure what to expect, because I'm really not a religious person. At all. But we actually ended up talking for like 2 hours about religion and feminism and it was seriously one of the most fascinating conversations I've ever had. She talked about her experience in divinity school, which I found really interesting, because she was always trying to represent the feminist perspective, but was constantly getting shut down by people even when they were talking about really blatant examples of sexism and misogyny. I thought she was going to be totally in favor of the Church and religion, but it turned out that she's really critical of both and is working to create an alternative for women who really appreciate the spirituality and sense of community that is created by religion without the patriarchal beliefs.

I'm really glad I got to interview her because I think her perspective is a really unique and important one.

No comments:

Post a Comment