
My next (and possibly last) big project is the creation of a Light Plot in Vectorworks. The Circut Map shows all the circuts and where they are, while the Light Plot shows where every light is in the Auditorium. Every light, their position, their color, their dimmer, and their channel. It is the master list for lighting in the Theatre. I assume Hawken had one, but it is severely outdated, since we've re-hung the auditorium quite a bit. What I did on Wednesday is follow a Vectorworks tutorial that shows you how to make a (fictional) light plot. That took most of the day, since I am learning an entirely knew method and area of Vectorworks, which can be a very complex computer program at times. But once I got over the learning curve it became much easier. It took me into Thursday to complete the tutorial, but then I moved onto the real projeect: doing for the Kennedy Auditorium. Due to a slight mix-up in scale (Mr. L's groundplan was drawn in AutoCAD, a different program, so when inserted into Vectorworks, the scale is wrong) it turns out that in VectorWorks as stage light is larger than the entire Auditorium. (thats not a good thing) So I was currently unable to make the plot ot scale. Instead, in a blank file, I simply made each of the pipes and mapped out all the lights and (when available) thier dimmer numbers. Above is a screen-shot of what that looked like. VectorWorks has detailed information on almost any lighting intrusment, and you can place it in your drawing to scale. Another feature is that you can turn the fixture "on" and it will show you the focus and beam angle. (Which is an amazing tool for a lighting designer.) For the remainder of my Senior Project I assume I will be working on making the Light Plot as official and opperational as possible. I will also probably be continuing on making the montages for Noises Off and Hairspray. (I would like to have them by Awards Day...) As for the HPS meeting I hosted on Wednesday, it went really well. There were alot of insightful comments, and will prove beneficial. (ps. Technical difficulties were overcome for the posting of this blog.)
Nice work Dayne! Future audiences will greatly enjoy the work you have done!
ReplyDelete