Blogging Requirements

Basic requirements will be the following:

* Three posts per week minimum about your own project.

* Posts must be done by Sunday each week.

* One contribution/comment about one of your classmate's posts that offers additional insight to their experiences.

* Your post about your own project is to be a minimum of 200 words.

* Your comment about another experience should be positive and encouraging.

* Photos and/or videos are not required, but definitely encouraged. It's nice to have a visual to help the image in our head as we read about your project.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Friday at V-Prep

This morning, we finished up the DRA testing with the kids (they only do it a few times a year) and went to Unity Circle. I mentioned Unity Circle in a post two weeks ago, but in case people (aka Senora Botella, probably the only person reading this blog) don’t/doesn’t remember, it is a time where the kids get to yell at scream and dance and cheer for their classroom. The kids also get “Humanitarian awards” and are very proud of those. Most of the chants are about getting to College, because there is an incredibly large emphasis on college at V-Prep. Elissa and I laugh at some of the cheers, because they’re ALL about how if the children act and perform well in kindergarten, they’ll go to college. Of course, we understand that the teachers are just engraining education in the children’s minds, but it’s still funny to listen to 5 year-olds chant about how excited they are for college. They’ve got a long ways to go. After that, I finished up some reading with the kids and was very impressed with this one girl. She was in 1st grade and had passed a level 40 in reading, which is a 3rd grade level. I also had a kindergarten the other day who was reading at a 2nd grade level. It is really impressive. A lot of the kids were much better readers than the Hawken kids. The day progressed and we did some busy work making name-tags for the kid’s field trip to the zoo next Tuesday. I also made an observation this week. I have literally never been in a louder lunch room in my whole life. I realized it’s because it’s really the only time the kids get to hang out and laugh with their friends during the day. While I’m really impressed with Village Prep, I do get upset that the kids have literally NO free time. I have a lot of mixed feelings about the school that I’ll definitely be writing about in my final report.

2 comments:

  1. I read the blog! I try to skim most of the posts at the very least when I'm not in the mood to be thorough haha. I get what you mean about the free time... I imagine somebody at some point went through a really comprehensive process of deciding what was the best way to make kids the most successful at a school like that in whatever location it is, so they must have good reasons for being as strict and rigid as they are, but I wonder how they came up with their method. I'd be really interested to hear their educational philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, now - I've been reading the blog too!

    I agree with what Moriah and you have said about the free time. I can't imagine being that young and not being able to talk or have free time with my friends. That being said, I'm sure there has to be a way to find a happy-medium between the two.

    It's also impressive that some of these kids are so far ahead in their education and reading levels. I wonder where they will end up some day.

    ReplyDelete