Yesterday I finally moved into the apartment I'll be living in (Last week I was staying in my brother's apartment). Today I am doing research on a few possible bills that representatives might introduce, and I'm reading Ohio's Constitution. My boss spent some time Friday giving me a crash course on some of the materials we use here, on the Ohio Revised Code (which is just the name for all our laws), and other important things about the state government. It is a very quiet day here, but I'm getting some good research done. So far, so good!
This is where the members of Botella Group will post their thoughts, ideas, anecdotes and experiences during their amazing senior projects this spring. Happy project and happy blogging :)
Blogging Requirements
Basic requirements will be the following:
* Three posts per week minimum about your own project.
* Posts must be done by Sunday each week.
* One contribution/comment about one of your classmate's posts that offers additional insight to their experiences.
* Your post about your own project is to be a minimum of 200 words.
* Your comment about another experience should be positive and encouraging.
* Photos and/or videos are not required, but definitely encouraged. It's nice to have a visual to help the image in our head as we read about your project.
Tuesday, May 10, 2011
Laws and Articles and Bills!
Yesterday I finally moved into the apartment I'll be living in (Last week I was staying in my brother's apartment). Today I am doing research on a few possible bills that representatives might introduce, and I'm reading Ohio's Constitution. My boss spent some time Friday giving me a crash course on some of the materials we use here, on the Ohio Revised Code (which is just the name for all our laws), and other important things about the state government. It is a very quiet day here, but I'm getting some good research done. So far, so good!

What is the video about, exactly? I couldn't get it to play.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds awesome, like you're in the middle of all the action. It's great that you get to contribute to all the research. You probably can't say much because of confidentiality, but I'd love to hear a few more specifics about what sorts of things you're doing in Columbus! Have you met Armond Budish yet?
Out of curiosity - is your project affecting your thinking about college majors at all? I know we talked about this before a bit. Personally, I'm finding myself really interested in Yale's cognitive science major, which is kind of interdisciplinary and involves psychology, neuroscience, linguistics, philosophy - there's even a "music cognition" course...
I'm not really sure about the video! I don't know what that is, it was unintentional. x_x
ReplyDeleteWell, I'm already interested in going into politics, but it might slightly affect what I want to focus on as far as fields that might lead me to politics. Tons of people go into political science, but I think that has a lot to do with how to get elected, and less of how to actually be a good legislator or executive once you get there. I had a great conversation with somebody who told me that the problem is that not enough people elected to a public office actually know how to govern. Hopefully you get what I'm saying... it's kind-of hard to explain. But coming up with actual solutions to America's problems requires lots of knowledge about economics, about policy, etc. Not just knowledge about "politics," because knowing how to get what you want as a politician isn't very helpful if you don't actually know what you want. So I might study a little more policy and a little less politics, or mix them together. We shall see!
I think I do pretty much understand. Basically, if everyone in Congress had a degree in economics, would we have a $14 trillion deficit right now?...probably not.
ReplyDeleteWell, I hope you're really enjoying project!