Blogging Requirements

Basic requirements will be the following:

* Three posts per week minimum about your own project.

* Posts must be done by Sunday each week.

* One contribution/comment about one of your classmate's posts that offers additional insight to their experiences.

* Your post about your own project is to be a minimum of 200 words.

* Your comment about another experience should be positive and encouraging.

* Photos and/or videos are not required, but definitely encouraged. It's nice to have a visual to help the image in our head as we read about your project.

Monday, May 9, 2011

2100 Lakeside: The Environment and a Book

Recently, I have been helping the director of operations at the shelter with their financial situation and environmental initiative. I spent a lot of time going through financial statements, documents, and bills in order to identify both how efficient the shelter was and their spending increase/decrease. Surprisingly, the shelter was more eco-friendly than most corporations in the area. Dramatic changes such as an innovative recycling program have not only helped them become more "green," but the money they receive for recycling goes towards purchasing supplies for the guys in the shelter.

But on friday, I was approached by a man that had a proposition for me. I helped him earlier in the week and evidently my help was well appreciated. He came up to me and told me that he wanted people to hear his story. We talked for awhile about his life, and after I asked how I could help, he asked me to help him write a book. He outlined a timeline and plan on how it would be written and also included marketing tactics and publisher information. Just by hearing his miraculous story, I was on board immediately and told him I would do anything I could in order to help him through this process. He had aspirations of greatness and you could tell that he was passionate about telling his story and knew only good could come from this. Later in the day, he came up to me to just to say hi, and then as he was walking away he turned around and said, "I know with the book we may not get Oprah, but I can settle for Letterman."

2 comments:

  1. Zac, It sounds like your are having a pretty great experience. HOpefully you are able to make a difference in these people's lives and you carry this experience forward. Keep up the great work!
    And post more often!! Not just all on one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you going to continue your project past graduation then ad keep wokring with this guy?

    ReplyDelete