Blogging Requirements

Basic requirements will be the following:

* Three posts per week minimum about your own project.

* Posts must be done by Sunday each week.

* One contribution/comment about one of your classmate's posts that offers additional insight to their experiences.

* Your post about your own project is to be a minimum of 200 words.

* Your comment about another experience should be positive and encouraging.

* Photos and/or videos are not required, but definitely encouraged. It's nice to have a visual to help the image in our head as we read about your project.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Beginning of week 3!


Hey guys! There really isn't much to share because I'm doing pretty much the same thing everyday! Recently we've been experimenting with new desserts. Today we worked with the idea of a neapolitan ice cream bar (3 flavors, classically vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry), but at Flour the flavors must be unique. So, we made an ice cream with fresh orange juice and zest, a rich dark chocolate ice cream, and mixed star anise (a spice that is used in black licorice) into vanilla ice cream and tried the three together to see how they worked as a trio. I didn't like the star anise ice cream very much, which is strange considering I love black licorice. Sami is working on the culinary side and has been doing a lot of prep work, including working with vac-packing meats in portions (portions of cooked meat are put into bags with some of their sauce and vac-packed with a special machine and later, the bags are heated in a special device which saves time and keeps the meat moist, unlike traditionally reheating in an oven). I help Sami on Tuesdays, which is Emily (the pastry chef's) day off. Above is a picture of Sami and I with a pig head that Sami had to pull the meat out of hahahaha cute right? It's times like these that make me happy I get to work with brownies, ice cream, and focaccia rather than animal carcasses.

2 comments:

  1. Okay this might be the stupidest thing ever, but if you're looking for new (kind of out there) ice cream flavors have you considered nutella? I had home made nutella ice cream at a restaurant once and it was seriously delicious. Also I don't know how you took meat out of that thing, I think I would've passed out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my god no that's not stupid AT ALL that's a great idea!!! especially because nutella is kinda sorta of italian origin? hahaha because Flour aims to make their desserts, and specifically their ice creams, at least slightly italian. that sounds really really good i'll tell the pastry chef and see what she thinks! thanks julie! and yeah sami did the meat-pulling i would've felt like throwing up hahahaha

    ReplyDelete