Blogging Requirements

Basic requirements will be the following:

* Three posts per week minimum about your own project.

* Posts must be done by Sunday each week.

* One contribution/comment about one of your classmate's posts that offers additional insight to their experiences.

* Your post about your own project is to be a minimum of 200 words.

* Your comment about another experience should be positive and encouraging.

* Photos and/or videos are not required, but definitely encouraged. It's nice to have a visual to help the image in our head as we read about your project.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Visitor




I get a lot of comments on how lonely and boring my project must be, sitting and sewing by myself every day. When Mr. Peters came to visit, he seemed seriously concerned about my mental health. It is kind of lonely, my machine and fabric is in sectioned off corner of my basement that’s next to the radiator or something which hums really loudly, so I have trouble hearing phone calls or people calling me around the house.

That must sound pretty sad, but it’s not as depressing as it sounds. Since it gets quiet and boring, I either listen to music or listen to tv shows on my laptop. My brother is also home from college and he makes a point to come and visit me once in a while. I sew anywhere from 2 to 5 blankets per day, and it takes about three hours in total to sew one blanket, including the pinning and ironing and cutting and everything, so I’m pretty busy. Luckily, making blankets isn’t very difficult and it doesn’t demand a ton of attention, just a lot of steps and patience.

The truth is I’m actually pretty happy with this project. I’m the sort of person that doesn’t mind a quiet project like this. Since I’m sewing at my house, I can decide my own hours and work as long as I like. The quiet gives me time to think and reflect. I also enjoy the actual process of sewing the blankets; it makes me happy to think that my effort will eventually bring babies and children comfort. I still get lonely, but for the most part, I’m pretty content. Plus as you can see from the picture, I do get visitors :)

1 comment:

  1. That's exactly how I feel! I'm often closeted in this (pretty massive) office that my sponsor let me use, and I feel like I'm completely missing out on human contact. All I can here is a really loud fan and the occasional door slam. Which is part of the reason why I'm looking forward to doing some of the neuropsych testing that I'm doing at Hawken, with...guess what...REAL PEOPLE. And why I asked my sponsor if I could observe his work with patients a little more next week, as opposed to just grinding through medical textbooks, looking up every other word.

    But I'm still really enjoying senior project, like it seems you are - everyone is so friendly and helpful!

    ReplyDelete