Blogging Requirements

Basic requirements will be the following:

* Three posts per week minimum about your own project.

* Posts must be done by Sunday each week.

* One contribution/comment about one of your classmate's posts that offers additional insight to their experiences.

* Your post about your own project is to be a minimum of 200 words.

* Your comment about another experience should be positive and encouraging.

* Photos and/or videos are not required, but definitely encouraged. It's nice to have a visual to help the image in our head as we read about your project.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Experiment

So...I now have a design for a simple experiment that I can do in the next week or so.

Essentially, I'm going to be exploring the relationship between emotion detection and Theory of Mind (ToM), which I explained in a previous blog post. It seems to me that at least conceptually, in order to successfully figure out what someone else is thinking and see things from their perspective (which is ToM), you need to be able to read their emotions clearly. So basically, if I can't tell what emotion you're expressing, it seems fairly obvious that I'd have a pretty small of chance of figuring out what's going on in your head.

But of course the fact that it seems obvious and logical to me doesn't necessarily mean that it's either true or scientifically proven. So my experiment goes something like this: I test how good you are at detecting emotions, and then I test how good you are at seeing things from the perspective of another. If the people who are good at detecting emotions are also good at seeing things from a different perspective, then my hypothesis might be right.

Would anyone like to take the tests?

2 comments:

  1. That sounds pretty interesting. I'm out of town, but if it's possible to take it from Columbus (Or the weekend of May 27-May 29 when I'm visiting home) then I'll take it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously I've already taken this test, but I didn't realize that it was for your hypothesis! That's awesome, I hope the tests at the party helped!

    ReplyDelete